Curious what the process is for decorated cookies (and maybe why they cost what they cost)?Let me walk you through what I do for each set! Keep in mind – custom cookies are just that, CUSTOM!
- Talk with the customer usually via email to nail down order details, confirm availability, quotes and designs (1-3 hours)
- Work up an invoice. 50% deposit is collected at this time to reserve the date in my calendar. (30 minutes)
- Order any cookie cutters or special supplies needed (1 hour)
- Design the set on my iPad using Procreate. This can take a few hours! See photos below on this! I don’t do this for every order but it’s becoming more common! (2-4 hours)
- The week the order is due, I plan out when I will bake, decorate, photograph, package, and deliver/ship. Final payment is also due 1 week prior to order/ship date. (1 hour)
- Shop for ingredients if needed (1-2 hours)
- Prepping and rolling out the dough (1-3 hours depending on the quantity of the order)
- Baking the cookies. You are not typically charged for this time because I can tend to other things during this time. (2-9 hours depending on the quantity of the order)
- Make icing, color icing and make the consistencies needed. There are 3 consistencies I use, flood, writing/detail, and thick for florals. (2-3 hours)
- Decorating the cookies can take between 3 hours to 14 hours (yes, I just said 14 hours, sometimes more) to do! It can also be over a couple of days depending if stenciling, edible marker and/or painting is involved. (3-14 hours)
- The cookies then have to dry overnight to ensure all of the icing is completely dry prior to packaging. You are not charged for this time as it is considered “inactive”. (18-24 hours)
- I, then, photograph the cookies and package them up! All cookies are heat sealed in their own individual bags. Stickers are added and they are boxed up in bakery boxes or shipping boxes. (2-4 hours)
- Then they are off to the customer! (30 min-2 hours depending on delivery/pick up method chosen)
TOTAL TIME: 33-70.5 hours
Crazy, isn’t it?! But they are well worth the money and can add that extra piece to your event that you didn’t know you needed!